Friday, July 26, 2013

The day I ate a cricket!

So the title gives away the big suspenseful moment of the last two days but let me start from the top. I LOVE CAMBODIA! This country truly is beautiful and the people are some of the nicest I've seen. Over the last 2 days we've toured countless temples that take my breath away at every visit. Unfortunately I can't post photos until I get home but take my word for it. The history is fascinating between Hindu and Buddhist reign which has produced the most exquisite architecture. Angkor Wat is the largest followed by Angkor Thom then lastly jungle temple. Google them. It blows my mind that mere humans created these.
Besides our tours, there are a few other interesting facts about this country. The recent history (Pol Pot, Khmer Rouge) is still a fresh wound. Our guide today lost his grandfather to the genocide and his parents were forced into an arranged marriage during the regimes' reign. The stories are horrific. The lasting effects of poverty, orphans, land mine amputees, etc. are heartbreaking. It's given me a renewed desire to adopt. The children are absolutely precious here yet forced into early hard labor. A girl no older than 4 chased us down to sell us bracelets. The guidebooks ask the tourists not to buy from them because it just worsens their situation. I can't even imagine.
I was feeling adventurous on our way back to town that I asked our guide to show us the weirdest thing they eat here. We ended up at a street side vendor with several baskets of deep fried goodies: crickets and cockroaches. I chose the former (when in Rome, errrrrr Cambodia, right?). In case you're wondering, it tastes like buttery popcorn. Praise God I lived to tell the tale! Ha! Other than the insects, the food thus far has been excellent. Lots of rice, veggies, chicken and pork with fresh fruit always for dessert. It's fabulous!
We get massages tomorrow morning then off to Laos. It's a rough life...so thankful for everything.
God is good,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment